Token endpoint regularly fails

Hello!

I’ve noticed that the token endpoint where one requests new access tokens fails about once a day. (I use the endpoint every 30 minutes.) It’s hard to be sure for how long this has been happening, but it’s at least 1 month.

The failure takes the form of a 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable HTML page from nginx:

<html> 
  <head><title>503 Service Temporarily Unavailable</title></head>
  <body bgcolor="white">
    <center><h1>503 Service Temporarily Unavailable</h1></center>
    <hr><center>nginx</center>
  </body>
</html>

Do you think it would be possible to shore up the endpoint somehow, please?

Yours,
Andrew Stewart

I’ll bring this to the operations team’s attention and if there is something that I can report back, I will. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Cheers

Phil

Hiya

I spoke with the operations team and the net result is, during periods of deployments, the number of servers available behind the load balancer may be reduced and that can result in an occasional 503 error with the token endpoint. There are a number of actions we’ve taken, and continue to take, to mitigate this including improving our infrastructure. I know this is not ideal, but, for now, the best advice I can give is to follow a back-off strategy and retry the request. If you see an increased rate of token endpoint errors in a day, please do contact us again, and we’ll reopen the investigation.

Cheers

Phil
Senior Engineer - Core Services, FreeAgent.

Hi Phil,

Okey dokey, no problem. Thanks for letting me know!

Cheers,
Andrew