Handling VAT post-Brexit

Hi all,

Just a quick note to say we’ve updated the API documentation with guidance on setting the VAT options (ec_status) on bank transaction explanations, bills, credit notes, estimates, expenses and invoices.

If the item being entered is dated 1/1/2021 or later and the business is based in Great Britain (England, Scotland or Wales) then EC Goods is no longer a valid option due to the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.

EC Goods will continue to be accepted for items dated before 1/1/2021 and for businesses based in Northern Ireland.

We have plans to add an additional Reverse Charge option, but for the time being please use EC Services for reverse charge items, which will be automatically converted to reverse charge for items dated 1/1/2021 or later where the business is based in Great Britain.

When you’re using the Invoices API to retrieve data you’re getting silly data back now - e.g. GB company sell services to Canadian company so its marked as “Reverse Charge” in the UI but the API is showing “EC Services”.

This is obviously incorrect and should have been replaced with a new status - just reusing an existing incorrect status might have been OK for a very short term workaround but its 24th February now…

This has caused problems with downstream systems so I’ll have to put a fix in the API code myself to change from EC Services to “Reverse Charge” - but then what happens if/when you make a change yourself and you choose something slightly different to what I did?

Delaying doing this properly has and will continue to cause frustration and work for your customers (though I guess its a minority using the API).

Hi Rhino,

Please rest assured this hasn’t been forgotten about and we’ll post an update as soon as we’re ready to roll out the necessary changes.

Thanks

@david.whitby Just a quick comment to check if there’s a timescale for adding the “Reverse Charge” status to the API and if this will be a breaking change?