Accounting Categories (chart of accounts)

Hi,

We’re doing a Free Agent integration within our payroll software. We have a few questions about the ‘categories’ (chart of accounts) API endpoint. When making the API request we realised that the response groups together: Capital assets, Current assets, Liabilities and Equity under ‘general_categories’ without a group description. We need to be able to format the account type on our software, so the users are aware of which account relates to which accounting category type on the free-agent software. Why do only some of the accounts come back under the correct category when they are set up on free agent as (admin_expenses_categories, cost_of_sales_categories and income_categories) then the rest of the account types are combined into general_categories.

Even if the response can’t be broken down into the individual groups as they are listed on free agent, adding a group description to all categories could be a solution as the general categories don’t include a group description. Are you able to help us out with this?

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the FreeAgent API forum! :wave: My name is Adam, I’m on the Engineering team here at FreeAgent.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback - we really value hearing your views on how we could make the API more useful for our integrators.

I understand how expanding on the number of groupings we have for accounts on the categories endpoint would be a handy feature, and I have logged this as a feature request that will be reviewed by the relevant Product Managers. Unfortunately, I can’t promise if or when this will be implemented, as it will be prioritised by our Product team alongside other work.

Thanks again for taking the time to share this with us, and if you have any other ideas for how we could make the API even better, please don’t hesitate to get in touch!

Kind regards,
Adam

Thanks Adam, once a product manager has reviewed the request. Are you able to let me know where abouts on the priority list it’ll be ?

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately, due to the way we prioritise work, with new pieces of work cropping up and a number of factors influencing the priority of the existing pieces of work on our backlog all the time, it’s not possible to give any real sense of if and when this might be picked up.

I’m sorry not to be able to give you an accurate picture, as I appreciate how this feature would help you by enabling you to show users which type of account each category belongs to. We will be sure to pass on any substantial updates as we receive them.

Kind regards,
Adam